The key learning objective is to be able to create user interface applications that uses a Content Provider to share its data. At the end of the course you can create a simple Android application that utilizes Google Maps and a Content Provider to share data which is stored on SQLite database.
Also, you will learn to design a simple user interface by using a List Activity. You will also get to know how to create an application with several Activities and how to make the Activities communicate with each other.
Security wise, you will learn how to use the different ways to apply security measures on your application to make the data private and accessible to your application only. In addition you will also get to know how to protect other components such as Activities from unwanted access.
You will also be introduced to using the multimedia API to play audio and video. Also, using a third party API such as Google Maps API is paid attention to during the course and you will learn how to use Google Maps in your applications.
Individuals who already know how to write Java applications but are new to Android application development.
Upon completing the course you will be able to:
- Write simple Android applications with multiple Activities
- Use the debugger and logging utility effectively to find and track bugs
- Create s simple application which is based on List Activity
- Use multimedia APIs to play audio and video
- Implement a Content Provider
- Write handlers for user interface events
- Use menus and context menus
- Apply security measures to make your application more secure
- Learn how to limit access to application components and data
- Use SQLIite databases
- Extend your application by third party libraries and use Google Maps API within your Android application
- Use Location API
35% of lectures and 65% of hands-on exercises.
Good knowledge of object-oriented Java programming and basic development tools
Preinstalled software on your laptop
Android SDK, Eclipse and ADT